Whether it’s the aroma of a fruitcake baking in the oven, smoked gammon or stuffed turkey, the festive season has its own, characteristic smells. With the COVID pandemic keeping traditional holiday travel and entertaining to a minimum -- if at all -- you can emphasize the nostalgia and sentiment of Christmas throughout your house with essential oils in diffusers in the 12 scents of the season.
1. CINNAMON: Calming and soothes a feeling of being overwhelmed or exhaustion.
2. MYRRH: Smoky and a touch bitter. It brings emotional stability.
3. TONKA BEAN: Smells like sweet Christmas bakes in the oven, calming but also an aphrodisiac.
4. LAVENDER: Helps with sleeplessness, anxiety and depression and a feeling of being overwhelmed.
5. GINGER: Good for emotional and mental wellness, reduces anxiety and helps with an upset digestive system.
6. PINECONES OR NEEDLES: Creates the feeling of the northern hemisphere’s white Christmas. Helps with fatigue.
7. LIME: Eases a troubled mind and brightens up a dark mood.
8. LEMON: A clean scent that makes you feel sharper and encourages attentiveness.
9. MANDARIN: Eases stress, helps to soothe nervous tension and creates a feeling of joy, especially if you are overworked or troubled.
10. CLOVES: Provides self-confidence and has a healing effect on the system. Good for toothache.
11. FRANKINCENSE: Earthy wood scent that symbolizes Christmas. If you are going through a difficult time, it anchors and protects you.
12. VANILLA: Calms and lifts the mood and is an aphrodisiac.
Sources: fragrantica.com, neomorganics.com, fragrancex.com, psychologytoday.com ■
Breaths comes in pairs except for two times in our lives – the beginning and the end.